Tuesday 30 October 2012

7 more days to HMT O levels!!!

Now there is only exactly 1 week left to study Chinese and I am going to focus more towards paper 2! Whoo~

Feel a little bit afraid of not being able to score A2 for Chinese as my recent prelims and the mock paper from RGS EOY 2012 were hovering just a little bit above the minimum 70% needed for A2.

Maybe I will do a simple SWOT analysis here.

Strengths :D :

  • Relatively strong Chinese foundation (after reading so many books~)
  • Memorised quite a significant amount of quotes and good phrases to be used in 报章报道.
  • Marks are consistent. (Always score just a little bit above 70%)
  • Some of the weak portions are showing signs of improving. (Eg. 公函->All time high of 16.5, 长文缩短-> All time high of 17)


Weakness T_T:

  • Lazy. (Up till now, I am still lazy.... Why Why Why after all these years of education?)
  • Mind may be fixated on a few paper 1 topics and cannot change quickly during exams if I happen to meet a strange topic
  • 报章报道 and 公函 some points may not answer the question, and thus no marks given. (Lost a fair bit while doing prelims when I scored only 41 for 报章报道 even though I studied very hard for it)

Opportunities:
  • Left 6 more days, still can improve on my examination skills (1 day is left out due to family outing)
  • Large pool of resources to draw from
  • Have so many friends around to aid one another in the course of preparation for O's

Techniques:
  • Focus more on Paper 2 自由发挥题,长文缩短,综合填空 then on Paper 1 公函,报章报道
  • If 报章报道 really cannot make it, turn to 记叙文 and use my awesome Chinese skills to strive for A2
  • ~Never do 理论文~ ( I didn't even attempt a single 议论文 in any formative or graded test this year)
  • Most importantly for 报章报道, do not try to forcefully slot in the phrases or paragraphs that I have memorised. The markers rather a point that answers the question than fancy writing. (This is the reason why one of my friends scored 48 while writing only 4.5 pages '__')
  • For paper 2, MUST finish every question. Always search the comprehension to answer free-response questions.
  • For 综合填空, always look at 上下文, before choosing the correct 词语. Take note of all the 固定搭配 and the relatively of the words. Some are used as a stronger tone than others.


So, my plan is simple. Study until 7th November and I can take a break before entering JC. Can't wait to see the new classmates and friends that I will make there. Stupid Chung Chi doesn't want to tell me who are in my orientation group. 

Also, it is confirm that I will be taking Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Economics for JC next year as my Biology results T_T. On hindsight, I should have focused more on Bio....

Last piece of gossip.............. I rather not say it here. Hope the student and teacher will turn over a new leaf as time washes away the unsightly memories.


Update: yeah for my whole class for O levels higher chinese 80% distinction, top the level for most outstanding class! Anyway, jiayou everybody for JC A levels. 

No comments: