Friday 5 October 2012

Higher Chinese Prelims is over!

Words can't express my joy now as I looked back at the hardwork done for this Prelims. To be honest, I actually studied more for prelims than myct and I was glad to know that what I had learnt had been used by me in paper 1 of the test.

I studied various compositions, trying frantically to memorise them even on the last day before prelims as I was scarring myself out with the importance of prelims. Fortunately, I managed to memorise enough crucial sentences and quotes which aided me in today's paper. The whole paper was a smooth and it was my first time feeling not so much stress in doing paper 1 in 4 years in RI.

Secondly, paper 2 was relatively more difficult as I didn't practise enough writing skills and some of the questions seemed foreign to me even though the answers were easy to get. I guess I have to start focusing more on paper 2 to improve my comprehension answering techniques while learning how to manage time usage during paper 2. I learnt from my mistakes in MYCT and was able to answered 1 of the first few questions correctly. Other than that rare occasion when answers overlapped with each other (ie. answers to the questions on the first page were leaked at the last passage) during this paper, I must say that the paper was fairly challenging especially on explaining the phrase given by the author and whether you agree to it or not.

All in all, I will strive to work harder to achieve at least an A2 for O levels so as to prove to myself I am able to make it.

Next, I will be talking about choosing subject combination for JC.
Sometimes, I feel that it is a chore to choose subjects to study in JC. Why can't we learn everything from literature to philosophy to biology? The subjects that I am going to take in JC will ultimately affect my career path and it is a dilemma to choose between subjects that I like or subjects that I excel in. Right now, I am stuck between choosing Biology or Physics for the typical H2 subjects combination (Math, Economics, Chemistry, Physics/Biology).

What I think=>
Biology:
Pros* Allows me to take up a medical profession with a higher advantage. I get to have a shot to become a doctor.
Cons* Even though I take biology, I may not get in to the university course that I want since there is simply too much competition between JCs for the limited spots in local universities. According to Mr Chua, my biology teacher, even in VJC, there are around 300 students taking biology for A levels but NUS only accepts less than 400 students to the medical profession faculty. Even though, a huge bulk of them come from RJC, the interviewers ask for evidence of leadership roles in JC and community service as almost interviewees go in with straight As. What make the few selected stand out are their outstanding performance in leadership, aesthetics and servicing the community.

Physics:
Pros* Physics teaches people to have a strong logical processing and in finance, these kind of people are sought after to handle large amount of liquidity/assets for the maximum returns. If I am to become a banker next time, physics will help in my thinking process and prevent loopholes in the financial system.
Cons* Physics isn't really my cup of tea even though I do well in it. I am afraid of competition from foreign physics student such as those scholars from China, Malaysia, Japan. Not that I am xenophobic but I am, deep in my heart, a little bit tending towards relaxing myself and I may not stand the pressure while working beside them. (However to cure this, I am going to study with my friends from China and strive to work at the same pace or faster pace than them.)

I will continue this the next time as it is getting late now. Bye!

No comments: